The B.A degree course was started in St Joseph’s college, in the year 1926. The students were admitted to B.A Course in July 1926. Fr. J .Argaunt, Principal of the College during the years (1924-1926), played a key role in the introduction of B.A Course.
During the early 1920’s the different subjects were taught under the nomenclature of History, Economics, Political Science and Logic. All these subjects were under the Department of Social Sciences. The last professor to hold such position was Prof.S. Asirvatham. The Department system came into existence only in the year 1962, with each Department headed by a professor. The Department of Political Science came into existence the same year.